As illustrated by the recent near-loss of wrestling in the Olympics, our beloved sport is under attack and has been for a long, long, long time.
I know that coaches sacrifice everything to keep the sport alive and work hard to get more kids, parents, fans, and supporters involved and to buy into to what you are doing.
Then we need to run this sport like a real sport. To start we need a complete and verified record of all those that have gone before us and celebrate and build on what they have accomplished. They should be the biggest advocates and supporters of wrestling and your programs.
We are committed to establishing this record. We published the first edition of the results from all the AAA state tournaments, from 1949-2012 last February. Here’s a link to a document with the updates we have made to that record since then – History of Virginia Wrestling AAA Updates 2013. It includes the following:
- Added first names for many wrestlers, especially the early years
- Corrected spelling of last names
- Added 5th and 6th placewinners from the 1976 state tournament
- Corrected names and places of placewinners for 126lb weight class for 1977
- Removed some names due to DQ
- Corrected a few school names
- Added results from the 2013 state championship
We have updates to the team finishes as well, but will post that separately. There are still questions to be answered:
- What the heck is the “Unclassifed” state tournament?
- Where are the results for AA, A, Unclassified and private schools?
- Is every name, school, and place complete and verified?
Folks, we are knee-deep in answering these questions, but simply put, WE WILL NOT GET THERE WITHOUT YOU. We need more data to work with – brackets, programs, newspaper clippings, etc.
To get this done, we ask you to please do the following:
- Like us on facebook – this will help us share data and communicate updates
- Look for the records that you have and send them to us firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find your alumni and former coaches and ask them to do the above
Thank you for everything you do for the kids. You are building champions in life!